There is a lot of confusion going on regarding different GST rates for various products and services in making people easily fooled by the hotels and restaurants. There are a lot of Hotels and Restaurants which are not registered under GST but charging people taxes in the name of GST. You can, however, identify the fraudsters with a slight background information on different GST rates for different products.
To see whether the dealer is registered under GST you can check the 15 digit number that is printed on the bill. Some restaurants even print fake or manipulate the customer. This number can be verified through the website of Goods and Service Tax.
The sixth character of GST number is either ‘P’ or ‘C’ where P stands for People and C stands for Company. Here is the amount which should be charged
- Non AC/ Non- Alcohol serving restaurant or hotels should charge 12% GST
- AC/Alcohol serving restaurants or hotels should charge 18% GST
- For takeaways, the GST should be 18%
Note: These are current GST rates, the government can revise the tax rate from 18% to 12%.
How to register a complaint about GST fraud
- Register your complaint on http://consumerhelpline.gov.in/: or
- Call 1800114000 or 14404 or SMS on 8130009809
- Email- [Email protected],
- GST portal- [Email protected], 0120- 4888999, 011- 23370115
- Twitter handles- @jagograhakjago@consaff@askGST_Goi, @FinMinIndia